About the Living Well Program
The Living Well program is a six-week skill building workshop that teaches practical ways to live a healthy life. Chronic conditions include diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, depression, heart disease, chronic pain, anxiety, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, and others. If you or someone you care for has one of these conditions, the Living Well Workshops can help you take charge of your life. The workshops build help you build confidence to manage your health, stay active, and enjoy life.
Not only will you get the support from a group, you will:
- Find practical ways to deal with pain and fatigue
- Discover better nutrition and exercise ideas
- Understand new treatment choices
- Learn better ways to talk with your doctor and family about your health
- Learn real-life skills for living a full, healthy life with a chronic condition
The six-week workshop is held weekly for 2 1/2 hours each. The workshop is led by trained peer leaders. Each participant in the workshop receives a copy of the companion book, Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions and are asked to contribute $10 toward the price of the book. All workshops are offered virtually, on Zoom until further notice.
In Central Oregon, we offer three Living Well programs:
Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP)
The Living Well with Chronic Conditions program, also known as the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP), was developed and tested by Stanford University over 40 years ago! It was designed to complement and enhance the care we get from our health professionals. Research shows participants are able to manage their symptoms better and communicate more easily with their doctors and loved ones. People who complete the program feel better, are less limited by their illness, and spend less time at the doctor or in the hospital.
You will learn tools to:
- Manage symptoms and medication
- Set weekly goals
- Problem-solve effectively
- Improve communication
- Relax and handle difficult emotions
- Eat well and exercise safely
Diabetes Self-Management (DSMP)
This class was designed to help people living with type 2 diabetes and/or their loved ones, gain the confidence and motivation to better manage symptoms and the day-to-day challenges of living with diabetes.
You will learn techniques and tools to deal with the symptoms of diabetes such as:
- Healthy eating and menu planning
- Preventing and minimizing the complications of diabetes
- Monitoring blood sugar
- Managing sick days
- Chronic Pain
Self-Management Program (CPSMP)
This class was designed to help people living with chronic pain or their loved ones, gain the confidence and motivation to better manage symptoms and the day-to-day challenges of living with chronic pain. By developing self-management skills, one can be empowered to actively achieve better health and well-being.
You will learn techniques and tools to deal with the symptoms of chronic pain such as:
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- Effective use of medications
- Pacing activity and rest
- How to evaluate new treatments